Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mario Kart Double Dash, James Bond--Goldeneye

Keller, Suzanne M. "Children and the Nintendo." www.eric.ed.gov. Web. 29 Nov. 2009.

Nintendo is bad? Not necessarily, according to Suzanne Keller and a series of studies. Let's look at the complex thinking skills required to successfully interact with the system. High school students who played Nintendo scored higher on critical thinking skills test than those who didn't play. The students were transferring their thinking to other areas of their lives. While Nintendo can still have harmful, negative effects, most often it does not. Kids do not think violent thoughts, merely they think of strategies to win the game. This article basically stated that Nintendo may have bad side effects, but for the most part it helps develop the brain and certain skills of children and young adults.

I agree for the most part with this article. I love Nintendo! I think that there is hardly anything greater than sitting at home and playin some good old Mario Kart or James Bond with my brothers--it's just the best! I could see how it heightens awareness of critical thinking. I am not sure if I agree with the part in the article that talked about how kids don't think violently, only strategically. My brothers used to play this "Streetfighter" game on Nintendo and my Mom would always take it away from them because they would get too violent outside of the game. You could really see a difference in their violence levels when they were and weren't playing that game. Overall, I think Nintendo is great as long as it's not the only thing you do all day every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment